Château de Pommard’s New Wine Experiences Explore The Mystery of UNESCO’s World Heritage Climats
POMMARD, FRANCE (April 19, 2017) – Since 1726, the families of Château de Pommard have led the estate through some of Burgundy’s most inspiring evolutions. Famille Carabello-Baum, the fifth family to steward the domain in three centuries, are now doing the unthinkable – making it possible for wine lovers everywhere to decipher the mosaic of terroir that is the Côte d’Or.
“As if 100 AOCs in Burgundy wasn’t confusing enough, now we have 1,257 different UNESCO World Heritage Climats of Burgundy! As a Grand Sponsor of the UNESCO Climats Project; it is our responsibility to untangle, for wine lovers everywhere, the web that makes Burgundy the most envied wine region in the world,” said Michael Baum, Propriétaire & CEO.
The family’s vision moving forward is to create a destination for wine education that combines serious wine knowledge with seriously fun experiences. The objective is to bring wine education to everyone, not just a privileged few, and open up the wonders and beauty of Burgundy to the world.
This week, the estate launched six immersive Wine Experiences designed for novices, intermediates and seasoned wine enthusiasts. The experiences are educational, entertaining and offer unique insights into the untouchable world of Burgundy’s terroir, viticulture and winemaking.
- Climats Experience is the perfect way to get a first real taste of the land and discover why Burgundy has the world’s most unique terroir.
- Pinot Noir Experience explores the delicate subtleties and nuances of this multi-faceted varietal in its historic birthplace with Clos Marey-Monge as the terroir playground.
- Chardonnay Experience journeys through the famous appellations and villages of Burgundy to learn about the effects terroir, nature, oak varietals and aging has on everyone’s favorite white wine grape.
- Sommelier Experience teaches the essentials that professionally trained sommeliers learn in their studies and on the job, allowing guests to become a wine expert in just a few hours.
- Vendanges Experience is available to a limited number of guests during harvest season, offering a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hand-pick grapes among of the vines of Clos Marey-Monge.
- Jeunesse Experience allows young guests between the ages of 5 and 17 to learn about the lifecycle of the vineyard and how grapes transform into wine.
A team of Sommeliers and Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) trained professionals are thoughtful and authoritative guides – teaching guests about the history of wine, biodynamic vineyard management, Burgundy winemaking techniques, and how to taste wine correctly. From novice wine drinkers to passionate wine professionals looking to build their Burgundy knowledge, there’s an experience waiting for everyone. Wine Experiences can be reserved online, by phone or through one of Château de Pommard’s travel partners.
“Anyone who loves wine deserves the opportunity to discover Burgundy. And by offering these comprehensive experiences at Château de Pommard, we aim to provide just that,” commented Julie Albin, DipWSET, Manager of Media Relations and Wine Education.
ABOUT FAMILLE CARABELLO-BAUM AND CHÂTEAU DE POMMARD
Founded in 1726, Château de Pommard remains one of the most iconic and visited wine estates in all of Burgundy. Clos Marey-Monge, at the heart of the domain, has been producing one of the greatest expressions of Pinot Noir for more than two millennia. In July 2015, UNESCO declared the clos a world heritage protected Climat of Burgundy. The 20 hectare clay and limestone rich terroir of Clos Marey-Monge makes it the largest and most interesting monopole in the Côte d’Or. It is from this terroir that Famille Carabello-Baum distill the very essence of Burgundy into three highly-acclaimed estate wines – Vivant Micault, Clos Marey-Monge Monopole and the limited production Simone. The family also produces Grand Cru, Premier Cru, Village and Bourgogne wines from more than 20 AOCs across the Côte de Nuits and the Côte de Beaune. In 2014, the Carabello-Baum family of San Francisco became just the fifth family to guide the estate. In just two short years the château has undergone a significant transformation, establishing itself as the ultimate wine education destination where anyone can experience the phenomenon that is Burgundy.